How it works
The player runs run shuttles of 20, 40 and then 60 metres. This set is then repeated five times. The goal is to do this as quickly as possible.
To give you an indication of what great looks like, Richie McCaw managed a personal best in the Bronco fitness test of four min 56 sec.
This tests players’ anaerobic capacity, motor skills, running efficiency and turning ability.
The whole team can do the test together and work to maximum effort by motivating one another.
- Use a flat well-maintained playing field or artificial surface
- You need cones at 20m, 40m and 60m.
- Players run to the 20m cone, turn around and come back to the start.
- Players run to the 40m cone, turn around and come back to the start
- Players run to the 60m cone, turn around and come back to the start.
- This is repeated five times.
- Time your players and note this down.
We would advise giving 5-10 minutes’ rest post-test before continuing with a fitness/rugby session.