THE BEST TECHNIQUE IS SAFE TECHNIQUE!
Incorrect technique in the contact phases of the game causes many rugby injuries – some serious. Make sure your team's coach is helping you in this area, especially with tackling, scrummaging, and other areas of contact.
Key Tackle Words
- SIGHT TARGET. See what ya gonna hit!
- FACE UP! Keep eyes open, back straight, hands in a catching position, elbows in and go forward.
- KEEP FEET ALIVE. Move feet quickly and adjust so the leading foot is close to the ball-carrier.
- DRIVE. Make firm contact with the shoulder and with the head to the side.
- WRAP. Punch arms forward and around the ball-carrier.
- POWER DRIVE! Continue through to complete the tackle.
- BE FIRST UP! Regain feet and recover ball.